Gelati is a monastic complex near Kutaisi, western Georgia. It consists of the church of Virgin Mary, built by the King of Georgia, David IV Agmashenebeli (David the Builder) in 1106, who is also buried here, and St. George’s and St. Nicolas’s churches of 13th century. During the long period of time, Gelati was an educational, scientific and cultural center of Georgia.
At the monastery there are kept a lot of inscriptions, triptychs, mosaics and frescos dated back to 12th and 17th centuries.According to the legend, King David also participated in constructions and he brought two huge rocks from the river valley to the monastery. The south-eastern outbuilding is connected to the name of Queen Tamar, who is also considered to be buried near the monastery (The grave of the Queen is unknown).